The public accounting research group’s mission is to contribute to the creation, diffusion and transfer of knowledge in the areas of accounting and public management. Its vision is based on promoting the transparency, accountability and quality of financial and non-financial information of organizations, adopting an interdisciplinary and multidimensional perspective and is inspired by national and international reforms aimed at the modernization of governmental and private organizations.
• Promote research from an international perspective, bearing in mind that governance and the accountability mechanism are seen as part of the recent public sector reforms introduced around the world.
• To study the influence of the policies of transparency and accountability promoted in the Portuguese context, focusing on the European and international reforms aimed at the modernization of the government.
• Investigate the different types of innovation in public services and their influence on organizational performance (perspective of different public subsectors);
• Explore and investigate the interrelationships between structural arrangements, the use of performance measurement systems and organizational performance (central government evidence focusing on contingency and contextual variables);
• Understand the role of management consultants as agents of change in public sector organizations (influence of institutional theory);
• Understand the process of harmonization of public accounting standards around the European Union, and in particular its effects in the Portuguese context and on the quality of public financial reports;
• Participate in the national project of adoption of the international standards of public accounting – an effective member of the research group is part of the working group that is developing the new Portuguese public accounting system;
• Study the process of profit management in local government and the influence of financial performance on the behavior of voters;
• Contribute to the definition of a new model of Public Governance;
• Investigate the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in public administration and its effects on performance.
• Develop and implement a digital platform that systematically monitors public information disclosure practices, contributing to improve transparency and accountability in public institutions.